Welcoming a New Family Member
Our staff and volunteers look forward to helping you find a wonderful new family member. This page helps you prepare with what to bring and what adoption fees to expect. If you have any questions, we’re here to help: email@example.com
What to Bring
- Photo Identification
- Proof of Address
- Bring any children under the age of 8 years-old to meet the potential adopted animal
- If you own a dog and are looking to adopt a dog, bring your dog with you to meet the potential new dog. Your dog must be up to date on their vaccines to interact with any of our shelter animals. You must bring proof of their rabies and distemper vaccinations.
- Adoption Application (fill it out at the shelter or download it: cat adoption, dog adoption)
Adoption fees vary per animal, depending upon age, breed and medical/behavioral conditions. Variable adoption pricing allows us to provide top quality care for all our homeless pets. A higher adoption fee for some animals enables us to care for animals in need of medical and behavioral intervention. Each animal in our care costs the shelter up to $600 just to provide basic needs.
We accept cash, Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover, checks (with ID) and debit cards. (Tax is not included in the fees below.)
The following are our standard adoption fees. You might also want to checkout limited time promotional pricing opportunities.
- Good Samaritan Dog – $300
- Regular Priced Dog – $150
- Shelter Favorite – $75
- Puppies – $350
- Good Samaritan Cat – $125
- Cat – $50
- Good Samaritan Kitten – $150
- Kitten – $75
Good Samaritan represents highly adoptable animals and doesn’t differentiate by size, especially in reference to dogs available for adoption.
A Lot Comes with Your Adoption Fee
Every pet adopted from the Pennsylvania SPCA comes with:
- Spay or neuter surgery
- Microchip with lifetime registration
- Heartworm prevention
- Age-appropriate vaccines: Distemper, Hepatitis, Parainfluenza, and Parvovirus, Bordetella plus first dose of canine influenza for dogs. Panleukopenia, Rhinotracheitis, and calici (for kittens) for cats.
- Rabies vaccines (for animals 3 months & older)
- Flea & tick prevention
- Medical evaluation
- Behavior evaluation
- Wellness care from our medical staff for 48 hours post-adoption
- Unlimited behavior phone consults with our behavior and training team
- Discounts on training classes and individual sessions