The Pennsylvania SPCA’s (PSPCA) Humane Education team offers programming and support to schools and non-profit organizations interested in service learning opportunities for their students or youth groups. Service learning integrates community service with lessons that promote social responsibility and build compassion and empathy towards animals.
The PSPCA’s Humane Education team works with school staff and non-profit organizations to provide interactive educational sessions, activities, and resources for service learning projects.
Priority Projects and Provided Resources
- Fundraiser – Campaign Posters, Coin Collection Boxes, Animal Advocate Buttons (up to 35), and a note card with talking points for students.
- Supplies Drive – Campaign Posters, Supplies Drive Flyer and Sign-up Form, and a note card with talking points for students.
- Awareness Campaign – Note card with talking points for students.
In addition to these resources, all service learning projects scheduled with the Humane Education department will receive a free classroom introductory presentation and an optional shelter tour at the end of the project.
Requirements: This program requires a minimum of 10 participants for the service learning project but does not restrict any group from raising donations, supplies, or awareness. All interested schools and groups must commit to an introductory presentation.
How does it work?
- Submit a Service Learning Project Interest Form (see below).
- A member of the PSPCA Humane Education team will connect with you to schedule a presentation and discuss projects.
- The PSPCA will visit your school/organization to present about PSPCA, animal welfare, and animal cruelty.
- We will work with you to help the students to plan a fundraiser, supplies drive, or awareness campaign to benefit the animals at the PSPCA.
- Schedule a trip to the shelter to drop off the donations or supplies and engage in an educational shelter tour, animal enrichment activities, and meet a shelter animal resident (Field Trip Optional but your group is responsible for getting your donation to the PSCPA’s Erie Avenue location).