Thank you for your interest in volunteering with the Pennsylvania SPCA!
Volunteers play an essential part in helping us meet our mission, both inside the shelters and at our community events. There are many things that a volunteer can do, including:
- Foster an animal
- Cat and Critter Caregiver
- Dog Caregiver
- Lifesaving Counselor Assistant
- Adoption Event Assistant / Animal Handler
- Special Event Assistant
- Digital Photographer
- Communications / Marketing Assistant
- Office Assistant
- Surgery Assistant (held monthly)
- Vaccine Clinic Assistant (should have a med/vet background)
- To learn about all of our volunteer jobs, please click here
Ready to get started? Great! Follow these easy steps to start the volunteer process:
1.) Submit an online application: New volunteer application. Once your application is accepted, you will receive an email about upcoming volunteer open house dates (attendance is mandatory to become a volunteer).
2.) Attend an Orientation: After attending an open house, you will complete animal handling classes. There you will learn about cats and how they communicate as well as dog handling. You will have an opportunity to walk a shelter dog, so please wear long pants and comfortable shoes with closed toes.
- Please keep in mind that volunteers must be at least 18 years old and able to commit to approximately eight hours a month of time.
Any other questions? Contact the Manager of Volunteer Programs at email@example.com to find out more about volunteering at our Philadelphia shelter. To volunteer at our branch location in Danville, PA – please contact Amber Hendrickson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Here are some other ways to help the Pennsylvania SPCA help animals:
- Organize a toy and treat collection in your community, school or church. Our animals love to play with fun toys and enjoy tasty treats – who doesn’t?
- Collect old linens and towels for our sick and elderly animals. The extra softness is nice to snuggle in and really eases their recovery.